Just like humans, it's critical to get your pet the help he or she may need and monitor their health through annual pet examinations. Annual pet exams are useful in order to prevent health conditions from worsening. A pet wellness exam can also detect the onset of new diseases and provide follow-up treatment for existing conditions in your pet.
At Hamilton Road Animal Hospital in Columbus, OH, our trained veterinarians can provide you with high-quality pet care exams as well as other pet care services. We're here to help pet owners keep their pets healthy, prevent the onset of new diseases, and make sure their pets live a long and healthy life!
Does My Pet Need an Annual Exam?
It's important for your pet to receive a wellness exam at least once a year. If they are over the age of seven, then your pet is considered a senior and should be examined more than once a year. The same applies for pets that are still considered to be kittens or puppies, as their growth stages need to be closely monitored.
What Happens During a Pet Exam?
During a pet exam at our animal hospital, one of our veterinarians will examine your pet from nose to tail. He will check for skin issues, medical problems such as arthritis or cancer, and check for parasites that might live on your pet's fur.
He will also ask you questions about your pet's health, so it's best to come to your annual exam with knowledge about your pet’s medical history. Other services that may be provided during a pet examination include:
- Vaccinations, which help prevent fatal diseases from affecting your pet such as parvovirus, distemper, feline leukemia, canine influenza and rabies
- Heartworm testing and heartworm preventive medications
- Dental check-ups, so our veterinarians can have a better idea of the state of your dog or cat's oral health. Pets can still suffer from dental diseases such as plaque and tartar build-up, loose teeth, and gingivitis
- Routine bloodwork to determine if your pet has an underlying illness or disease
- Weight check to ensure your pet remains at a healthy weight and is not over weight
- Medication administration to treat for external parasites such as fleas and ticks
Keep Your Pet Healthy and Visit Our Animal Hospital
At Hamilton Road Animal Hospital in Columbus, OH, we want to help your pet continue to live a long and happy life! Call us at (614) 239-0027 to schedule an appointment with one of our veterinarians.